Tuesday, July 13, 2010

for the birds

... as  lover's of nature we struggle with the dilemma  should we help mother nature when she is in trouble?
      
... or do we let her be ...  sometimes it can be very cruel

    last week we came to this cross road ...  swallows came back for the third year in a row, and set

    up roost above the horse's stall

    things were moving along as usual ... one particular day  we happen to come in ...

   one of the babies trying his wings had landed right between both horses feet.

   panicking dear hubby grabbing some gloves scooped him gently up and placed him on the other side  stall

  on a large sized toolbox on top of one of  the horse blankets


   ... poor lil fellow, I don't think he was quite ready to fly out into the world yet...



     the next day we checked in on him, and all was well, .......until..........
  
     I came back to find three others had followed suit, sadly we could only save one

     gently placed her beside the other, the last one being a little stronger



  ... every day we slid open the door trying to coax them out into the world...
 
     on the third day hubby and I wondered when these lil guys were going to venture out on their own

...  with a little nudging we finally coxed the stronger one to try her wings ...

                                                      SUCCESS

   ...  I guess the other lil fellow  just needed a bit more substance ...


 



... finally with wobbly legs he flew to the ground and stayed around for a bit ...




... gently coaxing him to the side of the pen, with mom and dad watching closely ....

   we watched for a bit while mom and dad took turns feeding him  

   the next day their was no sign of them ...  except the parents swooping down in the grass on the other side

...of the pen near a pond

... is it right to help mother nature when she is in trouble?          I'm not sure, but it sure feels

                                                              GOOD

6 comments:

  1. I would have done the same thing.... and if you hadn't, 4 may have lost their lives instead of 2. poor little guys. There is nothing more helpless than a baby bird. I am sure they appreciate you and will reward you with another nest next Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww... such cute pics. So glad you could help some

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have done the same.....you saved 2 lives..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the same question myself in my 'Forest Mamas and Babies' post last week. Living in a home, protected from the elements and wild beasties, I feel insulated from Nature's reality - which is why it is so very hard for me to accept that they all do not make it.

    I think you did the right thing! It is what I would have done too. :)

    Wishing you a lovely day,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh... I love a happy ending!! What a little scowl he has on his face!

    Love your site!! and your shop!! ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always try to help everything.. Baby birds are sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete