Monday, August 24, 2009

Composing a design to paint













A wooden stool that has texture applied to the top of it.
I wanted to catch both our pets in this composition. I took one picture of China our petite chow as a puppy, and the other of the kitty Rosie (our adoptie).

Next I wanted to place them in some kind of garden scene. I didn't want that to be the focal, so I painted the hydrangea's in more muted tones. To help connect the two animals together I added a butterfly that they could both view.
I had to change the direction of Rosie's eyes so she was looking at the butterfly. I shadowed around the edge of the stool to frame the picture to help draw your eye into the focal. Their should always be more detail and contrast in the focal area of you painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment